The system of World Wide Web works with Internet Hosting Services where organizations can upload their data on Internet for distribution. Web hosting service, Email Hosting Services, DNS Hosting services etc. are some of the types of Internet Hosting Services. Through web hosting services, you can upload your website on the World Wide Web.
Let us imagine your website as a data container, which has all the content you would like to distribute on the World Wide Web. Web hosts provide space to your website on their servers along with Internet connectivity through their data centre. In simple words, you are hiring server space and connectivity through web hosts.
There are both free and paid web hosting service providers which you can choose as per your requirement. File hosting, image hosting, blog hosting, video hosting, email hosting are some of the types of hosting services provided by web service providers.
Types of Platforms
Windows and Linux are the two types of platforms, which are typically available for web hosting. Kindly note that these web hosting platforms are independent of the operating system you use.
If you have a static website which is made of HTML and CSS then you can host your website on both the platforms. The choice of the platform would be majorly based on the type of scripting language you use for your website. For example if you use PHP and MySQL for your website then you should ideally host your website on Linux. On the other hand if your website has been made using scripts like ASP.net, ASP, SQL or Access then Windows should be your natural choice.
Over the years Linux has emerged as one of the favourite web hosting platforms.
Linux Web Hosting Platform
Linux is an UNIX- based and open source platform that is predominantly used for Website hosting. LAMP is the most important feature of Linux. LAMP is an acronym used for Linux, Apache, MariaDB/MySQL, and Perl/PHP/Python. LAMP signifies combination of software and server technologies which are open source and thus making Linux web hosting offers optimal solution to website hosting with limited budget.
Windows and Linux both give you the access to FTP, with which you can upload files on the server through your hard drive. However, the uniqueness of Linux lies in provision of ssh or telnet access which helps to interpret user data over transmission control protocol (TCP). With Common Gateway Interface (CGI), it aids you with application on the browser.
Some of the advantages of using Linux Hosting are:
- Secure and Stable: Linux is known for its stability and security aspects. Linux web hosting gives you robust platform in terms of data safety and steadiness.
- Easy Backups: It is very important to have backup for a website especially when it accesses non redundant. Linux brings you the best in class and easy backup facility through inbuilt tools.
- Basic Plans: Linux web hosting provides you with the array of basic plans encompassing FTP access, Common Gateway Interface (CGI) scripting, MySQL services along with email services and ssh access.
- Simple Administration: Unlike all other platforms, Linux offers simple administration benefits without using other software tools.
- Technical Support: Linux platform comes with a philosophy of providing troubleshooting facility and problem solving function to its users. Making it reliable, technical support and service which is offered by Linux is best in class.
- Low cost: Linux being an open source platform charges you far lesser in terms of setup, software and monthly costs making it a most preferred solution.
Some of the disadvantages of using Linux Hosting are:
- Domain Knowledge: Though it cannot be called as a major demerit but having inadequate knowledge of Linux can be disadvantageous.
- Compatibility: Websites which are developed keeping windows as its native platform may have problems gelling with Linux bringing out a compatibility issue. Off late this problem is solved in a way with usage of ASP.net.
Anything which has advantages has disadvantages too. It is up to the user to make the most of it with the brighter side. Though Linux web hosting has its share of disadvantages, it always has an upper hand over other platforms in terms of its open source architecture. The web scripts which are currently ruling the roost of web design and development seem compatible with Linux Web Hosting making it a most chosen platform in the currently available range of web hosting services.